Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Randomness

I haven't updated for a while, and in case anyone actually reads this I thought I would let you know I'm still alive. Still running too! I can't seem to settle into a routine since my half marathon. Since my running is all over the place my mind has been too. I haven't been able to settle on any kind of topic for my blog, so you get random information today.

1. I actually ran with someone this week! It was great. I ran with Brittany, who originally did C25K with me. She has run off and on since then and I think I've talked her into doing the Route 66 Marathon Relay with me. By the way, anyone else want to join? The longest leg is 7.something miles. I will happily run that. We need more runners! I would make you cookies or something. That's about all I've got to talk you into it. Anyway, the run was great. We did four 9 minute runs with 2 minutes of walking in between. Brittany is a rock star and finished even though she hasn't run that far in a really long time. Hopefully we have many more runs together in the future.

2. Hills/Speedwork-
I'm trying to add some of both of these to my routine. I did hills one day and speedwork one day. Monday I was supposed to do hills again but ran with Brittany instead. I mostly talked her into it so I wouldn't have to run hills. I'm doing intervals of fast/slow one day per week also. Well, I did it once. I should do it again tomorrow, but we are going out of town and leaving at 6. Needless to say, I will not be getting up at 4:00 to run. I know some people are that hard core but I am not. Perhaps I will do it on the treadmill at the hotel. Hmmm.....kinda liking this idea.

3. Do you know what is the worst thing about running? When you can't complete a run because you have to go to the bathroom. This morning I drug my lazy butt out of bed at 5:30, got dressed, ate, got my water, etc. I started running and all was basically well. About half a mile into the run my stomach started to cramp. Then other things started happening. I ran another block trying to decide how bad I really needed to go. It turns out is was pretty darn bad. I ended up coming home. Oh well, guess I will get out there late tonight after Ryan's baseball game.

4. Bootcamp is hard. No, not real boot camp. I'm obviously not joining the armed forces. I have a boot camp app on my ipod and husbands ipad. Since my ipod is MIA, I'm using the ipad. The app is made by bluefin software, the same makers of the totally awesome C25K app and B210K app I used. They also have a half marathon app, but it costs $14.99 which I think is beyond ridiculous. Anyway, boot camp. It is a series of exercises (circuit training) designed to torture your body and make you think death sounds like a fabulous option. The first night I did it Brittany joined me and we did cardio/core. I'm not sure if we even made it half way. It was so miserably hard. Tuesday I did a different set of exercises that focused on arms. So much easier! Ryan joined me and we had fun. Someone walked by while we were out in the front yard doing it. I assume she has called everyone she knows and made fun of it, but that's alright. We probably looked ridiculous. Last night I did the cardio/core again and finished! I knew how hard it was so I dialed it back a little at the beginning. That helped a ton. It's kind of like when you start running you get out there and give it all you've got and can't go very far. You learn to run slower and conserve energy. Then you get faster at some point. I guess. That's what people tell me. I've yet to see that happen.

So, that is the randomness going on in my brain. We are in the middle of a very busy baseball schedule. We have games or practices pretty much every day. This is making it hard to find the time or energy to run, but I'm working on it. On Sunday, my baby boy Adam turns 8. I can't believe it. Where does the time go? Oh, and my running-versary is coming up!!

Happy Running!!!

~Mel

1 comment:

  1. It took me a couple of weeks after my Half Marathon to settle as well, what worked best for me was getting straight back into a 'structured' plan, so foolishly I started a Marathon plan a few weeks ago. These comments probably look strange but I'm trying to read your Blog from the start. I always try to get people to start at the start of mine so they can better understand the 'journey' so I thought I'd better do what I preach!

    ReplyDelete