Tuesday, January 17, 2012

11 Days

That's how long it has been since I ran last. I finally gave in completely to the fact that I am injured and asked the PT if I should take a break. I'm pretty sure I heard a sigh of relief. She tried so hard to let me keep running and I think she was aware that until it was my idea I wasn't going to rest. Yeah, I'm a little stubborn. So, she said yes. Take a break. It has now been 11 days. I have permission to run again Friday, but only 1 mile. I can do that 2 days a week for a couple of weeks, then increase to 1.5 miles. Rinse, repeat. The goal is to build up slowly and hopefully without pain.

Unfortunately, we still aren't 100% sure of what is wrong. I had right hip pain for several months. Then I started PT and the left hip started hurting. The right one quit. That makes it pretty hard to diagnose. Since rest improves it dramatically, it is pretty obvious that it is an overuse injury. Hence, the rest and slow build up.

So what am I doing when I'm not running? Well, I rejoined the gym. I didn't want to. I don't like the gym. I particularly don't like the gym I joined. It's kind of my only option though. There is another gym in town, but it is more expensive, the location is inconvenient and so are the hours. So, back to the gym I go. I went yesterday to enroll and I'm pretty sure the guy didn't care if I joined or not. These people frustrate the heck out of me. Oh well, I don't care if they want my business. I need a gym and they fit the need. So there you go. Wanna hear something creepy? There is a closet by the managers desk. The door was open and I looked that direction and see a computer screen. Yep, he's watching the cameras. I can't help but wonder if he just sits there most of the day watching people work out. Making fun? Admiring people? Who knows. I can't imagine he's watching for security reasons all the time since it's a small gym and his office is right off the workout area.

Ok, back on topic. I went to the gym to work out today. I can only do 10 minutes on each cardio machine so I don't overwork my muscles. I did 10 minutes each of elliptical, rowing machine, bike and treadmill. And then I did some weights and the stretches the PT gave me. I think I worked out a little over an hour. Then I ate entirely too much, so I did the boot camp workout on my iPad app during lunch. I got a pretty good workout today! It's not running, but it's something.

Remember my last post about what I'm doing this year? It looks like some of the races I wanted to do are on the same day. The 10K in Bartlesville is the same day as the Snake Run. I still haven't decided what to do. The Oklahoma Aquarium Run, which was my first half marathon last year is on the same day as the Lake McMurtry trail race. I wanted to do both, but will likely do Lake McMurtry. I'm sad though that I can't do both.

I had a goal of running 1000 miles this year. As of now I think I've run 12. I'm trying to remind myself that it isn't my fault, I'm not lazy. I'm not doing so well at that.

A friend of mine started running this week. She wants to run a 5K, then a half marathon and eventually a marathon! I'm excited for her and can't wait to follow her progress. She asked if I would run a half marathon with her and of course I said yes! I think it will be fun. If you want to follow her too, her blog is: http://itsmymarathon.blogspot.com/

I can't wait to run on Friday!!!!

~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment