Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oh, how things change!

Last year at this time I was about a month away from my first half marathon. Only half marathon actually, though I've run a couple of 25k's. Yesterday I got a little over 4 miles and was thrilled. Wow. It doesn't seem like I've come very far in a year. It seems more like I backslid. I guess I sort of did, but it was due to an injury, not just a lack of wanting to run. I'm coming back though. While I'm not stronger physically, I am definitely stronger mentally and emotionally. I'm still frustrated every time I go out and have a tough run, which happen too frequently. I feel like I'm never going to get back to where I was last fall. I know I will though. I just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other. Not too many times though or I will be right back where I was!

The really good news is that I'm up to 4 miles and am still pain free. I've added a 4th running day per week. I did 1 mile on the 4th day this week. I will add half a mile a week until I get to 3 or 4 probably. Then we will see. The other three days per week I'm sort of doing an abbreviated version of Bridge to 10K to build me up to 6 miles. When I get done with that I will start a marathon training plan. Not to run a marathon, but to build up my mileage. I still really really really hope I can the the Flatrock 50k this year. I am determined to do a 50k in the fall, so if I don't do it at Flatrock then hopefully I can at Pumpkin Holler or Turkey and Taturs. I know I don't want to push myself too far or fast, but don't want to hold myself back either.

The biggest problem I am having right now is just fitting running into my schedule. I hate getting up early to run but afternoons are just crazy. Both boys are playing soccer and they play on opposite nights. Rick has been crazy busy with work, softball and the moon buggy. They raced the moon buggy last week in Alabama though, so that's over. However, he is now in his final few weeks of masters classes so he has a lot to do with that. Oh, did I mention he graduates in less than a month?! I'm so proud of him. Anyway, since he's so busy and I'm driving the boys all over the place it's hard to find time to run. I'm determined though!

Anyway, no exciting news from me. I guess no news is good news, right?

Happy Running!

~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment