Thursday, April 14, 2011

Positive Inclines

First I need to disabuse you all of the notion that Kansas is flat. Yes, parts of it are, but my corner of the state definitely isn't. I sort of have a love/hate relationship with these hills. I love how they are helping me become stronger, but hate actually running up them.

One day I was complaining about hills and my husband (who I am certain was just sick of listening to me) pointed out that I could think of them in a positive light instead of a negative one. In all of his science teacher glory, he says, "Hey, you could think of them as positive inclines instead of hills!" I laughed at him and we made jokes about it. But you know what? It worked! So often now when I'm running up a hill I think "this is a positive thing. It is helping me. It's not a hill, it's a positive incline."

Sometimes, we have to climb metaphorical hills in life. I had to climb a hill this week. I'm not quite to the top, but I know I will make it. I keep trying to to tell myself this is positive. I am growing stronger while I climb this hill. I started up the hill last Saturday when I had my crappy run. Then Monday came. A little bit before noon, my phone rang. My husband was calling to tell me that Mr. Art Haibon, Principal and Superintendent of Elk Valley had passed away. I could hear the devastation in his voice. He had great respect for Mr. Haibon, as did many other people. My heart goes out to all of his family and friends.

Tuesday morning I went for another run. It was horrible again. During the run I thought a lot about Mr. Haibon and kept thinking if he could fight against cancer as hard as he did, surely I can run 4 miles. Not so. At this point I was upset about death and was certain I was facing the death of my running career. I came home beaten down. I logged onto my favorite forum in the whole world, http://www.car-seat.org/. This place is filled with some of the most caring, wonderful people I have ever come accross. I reached a particularly tough point on the hill when I logged on. One of our members, a young, beautiful mother had passed away. Leila Potts, aka Neia, had passed away a few days before and we had just found out. I cannot describe the depth of my devastation over this. I was angry, hurt, and confused and still am. The fantastic ladies in the community (which I'm so proud to be a member of) are gathering together to raise money to help the family with expenses. We've done this all too many times lately. How much more can one community take?

I know that this too shall pass. I will reach the top of the hill and enjoy a nice, easy downhill. I feel I started the recovery today when I ran 4 miles, which is what I set out to run.

Next up: 13.1 mile run Saturday morning!! First half marathon distance. Hopefully I will be back with a much happier post.

~Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment